Last Updated: April 10, 2018
Please check back frequently as your use of the Services constitutes acceptance of this Policy, as it may be amended from time to time, and you agree to be legally bound by this Policy.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT OR OBTAIN
We collect information about you in various ways.
Information You Provide to Us. We collect information you provide directly through the use of the Services, such as your name, email address, birthday, postal address, zip code, phone number, information such as password and security questions necessary to create and maintain a Coinstar account, and any other information you choose to provide. Some of this information will be personal information (defined as information that identifies an individual on its own or in combination with other information Coinstar possesses).
Information We Collect When You Use Our Services. When you use or otherwise interact with the Services, we may collect information about you and we may combine this information with other information we believe to be about you. For example, we may collect:
- Transaction Information:When you use our machines, we collect information about your transaction, including but not limited to the transaction amount, date, time, and location.
- Security Information: In some cases, security measures in place at our machines to protect both you and us may capture images and other information about you or those around you.
- Log Information:When you visit or use some of the Services, such as our websites, some information is automatically logged, such as your computer’s operating system, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, access times, browser type and language and the sites you visited before navigating to our sites.
- Mobile Device Information:We may collect information about the mobile device you use to access our Services, including the hardware model, operating system and version, device identifiers, mobile network information and information about your use of our mobile applications. With your consent, we may also collect information about the location of your mobile device. For more details about the collection of location information and the choices you have, please see the “Information Choices” section below.
- Cookies and Similar Technologies. We use various technologies to passively collect information, and this may include placing cookies, flash cookies, web beacons, or other tracking technologies on your computer or mobile device. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory by a website. Web beacons (also referred to as “clear gifs”) are electronic images that may be used on our websites or in our communications. We use web beacons to deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness and understand how you interact with our services and communications. For more information about cookies and similar technologies, please see our Cookies Policy.
Information We Obtain from Third Party Sources. We may obtain certain personal information about you from third party sources, as follows:
- Business Partners and Service Providers. We use business partners and service providers, such as payment processors and analytics providers, to perform services on our behalf. Some of these partners have access to personal information about you that we may not otherwise have (for example, where you sign up directly with that provider).
- Supplemental Information. We may receive additional personal information from third-party sources, such as public databases, which we may append to existing consumer information.
We may be required to collect certain personal information about you by law or as a consequence of a contractual relationship we have with you. Failure to provide this information may prevent or delay the fulfillment of these obligations.
USE AND RETENTION OF INFORMATION
We use the information we collect and obtain described above to provide and improve existing services, to communicate valuable offers, and to develop new and exciting services. For example, we may use information about you to:
- Meet our legitimate or contractual interests, such as operating and improving the Services, creating or attempting to create new products and services, or maintaining and administering your accounts and membership profiles;
- facilitate contests, sweepstakes, and promotions and process and deliver entries, prizes and rewards;
- monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with the Services;
- personalize the Services and provide content and features we think will be of interest to you;
- facilitate your relationship with third parties who offer services we think may be of interest to you;
- respond to your comments and questions and provide customer service;
- provide and deliver products and services and send you related information, including confirmations, notices, updates, alerts, surveys, and support and administrative messages;
- communicate with you about contests, sweepstakes, promotions, rewards, upcoming events and other news and information about products and services offered by Coinstar and other companies;
- detect, investigate and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights and property of Coinstar and others;
- maintain secure online and offline environments;
- meet our legal obligations to comply with law enforcement and other government requests; and
- link or combine information about you with other information we get from third parties to help understand your needs and provide you with better service.
We will retain your personal information for as long as is necessary for the purposes set out in this Policy unless a longer period is required under applicable law or is needed to resolve disputes or protect our legal rights, all in accordance with the principles set forth in Article 5(1) of the GDPR.
Where we are processing personal information based on our legitimate interests, we generally will retain such information for a reasonable period of time based on the particular interest, taking into account the fundamental interests and the rights and freedoms of the data subjects.
Where we are processing personal information based on your consent, we generally will retain the information for the period of time necessary to fulfill the underlying agreement with you, subject to your right, under certain circumstances, to have certain of your personal information erased (please see the “Your Personal Information Rights” section below).
Where we are processing personal information based on contract, we generally will retain the information for the duration of the contract plus some additional limited period of time that is necessary to comply with law or that represents the statute of limitations for legal claims that could arise from the contractual relationship.
In addition, we may face threat of legal claim and in that case, we may need to apply a “legal hold” that retains information beyond our typical retention period. In that case, we will retain the information until the hold is removed, which typically means the claim or threat of claim has been resolved.
SHARING OF INFORMATION
We may share your information as follows:
- with our subsidiaries and affiliated companies;
- with third party vendors, consultants and other service providers who are working on our behalf to deliver you products and services and need access to such information to carry out their work for us – for example, we may partner with other companies to process secure payments, fulfill orders, optimize our services, send newsletters and marketing emails, support email and messaging services and analyze information;
- with third parties, including law enforcement, partners, and third-party loss prevention personnel, to detect, investigate or prevent fraudulent or suspicious transactions, support investigations into suspected theft, fraud or other wrongdoing, prevent any action that is illegal or otherwise inconsistent with our user agreements or policies and/or to protect the rights, property and safety of Coinstar or our partners (including retailers);
- in response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is allowed or required by any applicable law, rule or regulation;
- with your consent or at your reasonable direction.
We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
LEGAL BASIS FOR PROCESSING
We rely on separate and overlapping bases to process your personal information lawfully. As described above, it may be necessary for us to process your personal information in certain ways in order to process a transaction you have requested or otherwise in accordance with a contract between us, or in certain cases we may process your personal information where necessary to further our legitimate interests, where those legitimate interests are not overridden by your rights and interests. We rely on several legitimate interests in using and sharing your personal information. These interests include:
- improving and customizing the Services for you;
- understanding how the Services are being used;
- obtaining insights into usage patterns of the Services;
- exploring ways to develop and grow our business;
- ensuring the safety and security of the Services; and
- enhancing protection against fraud, spam, harassment, intellectual property infringement, crime and security risks.
THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
THIRD-PARTY ADVERTISING AND ANALYTICS SERVICES
We may also work with third parties to serve ads on other websites or platforms, and these ads may sometimes be customized based on information we have about you. To opt out of us using your information in this way, please email us at [email protected].
Account Information. If you have an online account with Coinstar, you may access, update and correct information about you by logging into your account and updating your profile information or by emailing [email protected]. You may also email us at [email protected] if you wish to deactivate your account.
Promotional Communications. You may opt out of receiving promotional emails and text messages from Coinstar by following the instructions in those communications. Please allow up to 10 days for these opt outs to take effect. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional messages, such as emails about your accounts or our ongoing business relations.
Cookies. Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove cookies and/or reject cookies. If you choose to remove cookies or reject cookies, this could affect certain features or services of the Services.
Location Information. When you first visit one of the pages on our websites that collect location information, you will be asked to consent to the collection of location information. If you initially consent to our collection
of location information, you can later stop this collection by changing the settings on your mobile device or web browser. If you do so, certain features of the Services will no longer function. You can also stop our collection of location information by our mobile applications by following the standard uninstall process and removing the relevant Coinstar application(s) from your mobile device.
Your Personal Information Rights. In certain circumstances, you may have rights regarding your personal information, subject to local law. These may include rights to:
- access the personal information we hold about you;
- rectify the personal information we hold about you;
- erase the personal information we hold about you;
- restrict our use of your personal information;
- object to our use of your personal information;
- receive your personal information in a usable electronic format and transmit it to a third party (right to “data portability”); and
- lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority (i.e., supervisory authority).
Where you have given your consent to a particular type of processing, you may withdraw your consent at any time. If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide you the Services for which the processing based on your consent were necessary.
Please note that we will likely require additional information from you in order to honor your requests and reserve the right to deny requests that we deem to not be from a confirmed data subject.
If you would like to discuss or exercise such rights, please contact us at the details below.
Opt Out of Information Sharing. To opt out of having Coinstar share information about you with third parties for their own business purposes, including to market products and services to you, please contact us at [email protected]. Allow for up to 10 days for such opt outs to become effective.
Your California Privacy Rights. California law permits residents of California to request certain details about how their browsing information across the web and over time is shared with third parties for direct marketing purposes, and to provide options for participating in such sharing. To request information regarding the disclosure of your personal information or to opt out of having information about you shared with third parties for direct marketing purposes, please email [email protected] or write us at:
Attn. Legal Department, CA Privacy Rights
1800 114th Ave. SE, Bellevue, WA 98004
If you are a California resident under the age of 18, and a registered user of any site where this policy is posted, you may also request and obtain removal of certain content or information you have publicly posted. To make such a request, please send an email with a detailed description of the specific content or information to [email protected].
Do Not Track. Some web browsers may be configured to send “Do Not Track” signals to the online services that you visit. There is no consensus among industry participants as to what “Do Not Track” means in this context. Like many websites and online services, the Services do not alter practices when a “Do Not Track” signal is received from a visitor’s browser. To find out more about “Do Not Track,” please visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com.
SECURITY OF INFORMATION
Coinstar takes commercially reasonable measures to protect personal information from loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. However, due to the nature of the internet and the nature of information technology in general, we cannot guarantee the security of your information.
LOCATION OF INFORMATION
Coinstar is based in the United States and the information we collect is governed by U.S. law, particularly that of the state of Washington.
Your personal information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in a country other than the one in which it was provided. When we do so, we put in place appropriate safeguards (such as contractual commitments) in accordance with applicable legal requirements to adequately protect your personal information.
To the extent Coinstar transfers personal information outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”), we rely separately, alternatively and independently on the following appropriate safeguards to transfer such information:
- Standard Contractual Clauses. The European Commission has adopted standard data protection clauses, which provide safeguards for personal information transferred outside of the EEA. With respect to our Services operated from servers in the EEA, we generally use Standard Contractual Clauses when transferring personal information from a country in the EEA to a country outside the EEA.
In addition, we may transfer your personal information outside the EEA if the transfer is necessary to establish, exercise or defend legal claims.
For more information on the safeguards in place, please contact us using the contact details set out below.
MERGERS, DIVESTITURES AND OTHER TRANSACTIONS
Should Coinstar merge with, be acquired by, or transfer substantially all of its assets to another entity, we may share your Personal Information with that entity or another entity in connection with such a transaction.
USE OF OUR SERVICES BY CHILDREN
Our Services are not intended for use by anyone younger than the age of 13 and we do not knowingly collect personal information from individuals younger than age 13.
If you have any questions about this Policy, please contact us at [email protected].